All Migraines are headaches, but not all headaches are migraines. The word ” Migraine” is derived from two words, “hem” (half) and “grania or cranium” (head). Thus Migraine is a periodic half-sided headache accompanied by nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light or sound, anxiety etc. In women they usually come around the time of her periods, mostly 2-3 days before, and last for same period of time. Migraines connected with periods usually disappear after menopause.
These headaches are very severe. Other than anti-migraine pills which mask the pain, no single treatment gives absolute results. Acupuncture, Chiropractic/Osteopathy, Homeopathy etc., help individuals.
My integrated medical approach not only controls the severity of the headaches but reduces the frequency of the attacks. Many have gotten cured.
The treatment plan is as follows:
- Avoid citric fruits, nuts, cheese, mushrooms, yeast bread, coffee, excess salt, alcohol and sugar.
- Drink 6 glasses of water daily.
- Massage the neck and shoulder using The Ali Technique (seeThe Neck Connection ) once or twice a week for 8-10 weeks.
- Yoga exercises (The Neck Connection).
One week before the expected date of the attack do the following:
- Ask your partner or a friend to massage the neck, upper back, jaw and temples for 10 minutes every other day.
- Eat light dinners (salad, soup, fish, vegetables).
- No alcohol, coffee and chocolates should be consumed. Go to bed by 10pm.
- Drink 2 litres of water a day.
- Breathing Exercises, morning and evening. Breathe in for 5 seconds, hold your breath for 5 seconds, and breathe out for 5 seconds. This type of Breathing stills the body and calms the mind, while relaxing the muscles. It helps to dilate blood vessels and improve circulation of blood to the brain.
- Use Tincture of Valeriana drops, 10-drops in half cup of water at bedtime for one week.
This “damage control” method reduces the severity of an attack or even prevents it.
Do this programme sincerely for 6 months. You’ll be surprised by the results. Remember, no one really knows what causes Migraine so your participation in its cure is the only natural way forward.
The Ali Syndrome Headaches (60% of all headaches)
This headache is caused by reduction of blood flow to the brain through the Vertebral Arteries, located inside the neck vertebrae (read The Neck Connection).
Neck stiffness caused by stress, whiplash injury, frequent travel, excessive computer use, insomnia etc., usually triggers this.
This type of headache is one-sided, accompanied by dizziness, chronic fatigue, palpitation, muzzy or foggy head, short term memory loss, lack of concentration, sleep disturbances etc.
Move your head to the left and right in quick succession for 5 times and stop. If you feel dizzy, you are likely to be suffering from The Ali Syndrome.
The Ali Syndrome Headache is managed by following the treatment plan, outlined in the book:
- Avoid citric fruits, coffee, yeast products, cheese. mushrooms, nuts, excess chillies, etc.
- Neck Massage, using The Ali Technique or self-massage of the neck, shoulder, jaw, temples and jaw joint.
- Yoga exercises (Cobra, Bridge, Turtle, Boat poses)
Non-Ali Syndrome Headaches are caused by factors like high or low blood pressure, low blood sugar, sinus congestion, TMJ ( grinding of jaw joint), insomnia, tension, poor eyesight, constipation, atmospheric pressure changes, aneurysm of brain artery, brain tumour, trauma to the head, meningitis, sensitivity to strong light, de-addiction or withdrawl syndrome, inflammation of artery of brain (arteritis), excess or lack of brain fluid etc. These should be treated according to their causes. Here a doctor’s guidance and help is needed.
One more fact to add: although the brain is full of nerve cells, not all of them have the ability to detect pain. When a brain tumour grows inside the brain, no pain is noticed until it grows so large that it disturbs brain fluid circulation, and that’s when headaches start.
Contact Dr Ali’s Clinic and Health Store for appointment and health products:
Dr Ali’s Clinic / Health Store
121 Crawford Street,
London, W1U 6BE, UK.
Tel: +44 (0) 207 224 5141, +44 (0) 207 224 5111
Dr Ali’s Health Store: www.drmalishop.com
Dr Ali’s Clinic: www.integratedmed.co.uk
Dr Ali’s Rejuvenation Programme: www.timereversal.net